Your Eyes Are Diamonds

at a baseball game
in which a Texas
league single breaks up
the no-hitter in the ninth
on a two-out, two-
O pitch before
the paid attendance
of 43,000 whistling
manically when you kick
your stockinged leg
high as a Rockette &
your patented split
finger four seam round-
house knuckle curve
slider thumps into my old
catcher’s mitt, the ump
squeals strike three
& I kiss you squarely
on the mound. Sweet
creamy nougat smothered
in rich milk chocolate, you
are my all-everything
center, anchoring
the line yet maintaining
your femininity while
I, the chiseled-chin
quarterback, smack your
ass & bark signals.
Standing tall in the pocket
I want to go long, but
Dick Butkus is coming
on a red dog, so I
eyeball the flanker’s
quick slant over the soft
middle when boom!
You pancake the blitzing
Bear backer, letting me
uncork a tight spiral
to the wide-out streaking
up the sideline for six.
Flag on the play. You’re
not the center, but the starting point
guard, a WAC sophomore
majoring in recreation &
an exceptional ball
handler. I’m your back
court complement, a slick
shooting small forward
with uncanny touch
behind the arc, a former
Diaper Dandy who never
lived up to the hype, but I’m
a senior now on fire
in the Big Dance, banging
clutch threes, man on top
of me, clock ticking
down when a true freshman
from Indiana beats me
off the dribble & takes it
to the hole untouched, but you
slip through a hard base line
pick & strip the buttery
Hoosier clean on the
double team & we fast
break the other way with
the acrobatic behind the
head between the legs jam.
Hooray! I’m the famous
Cap’n Spalding after big game
& you’re the buxom blonde
safari guide, expeditiously
tromping aphrodisiacal
foliage, shooting a foam-
flanked, torch-eyed
elephant in your zebra
striped pajamas. Exactly
how an elephant got
in your pajamas, honey,
I wish I knew, but I’m not
really Groucho—I just
walk that way after kissing
your bumper lapping you
at Talladega, my wine
No. 69 Chevy spilling
into the retaining wall &
bursting into a barrel-rolling
ball of flame, my brief
career seemingly over. Yet
time in & out
we’ve skated cross-ice
through the crease, body
checked by slashing, high
sticking goons
on shorthanded
power plays, me at left
wing & you—yes, the center
after all, not only
on the ice, but in every
milieu, slapping the puck
like the Great One.


 

Comments

Matt Morris said…
This poem first appeared in NEARING NARCOMA, then subsequently in GREATEST HITS. It supposedly also appeared in POETRY MOTEL, but I honestly don’t know.