God Bless You, Mr. Peabody

Sadly, several of the magazines where my poems have appeared are no more, the old links noting nothing but an error message in their stead. However, thanks to the science of the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, not all is lost. Here are some of the captured moments on the net, which once were lost but now are amazingly found.

"1981" & "The Birth of Venus" appeared in Bindlestiff's inaugural issue.  (Side note: I wrote "1981" at some time during that titular year. Like me, the world, & everybody, it's gone through various changes since then. Originally called "To You," it's now titled “Le Philatéliste,” with each stanza the size of a postage stamp.)

I was especially sorry to see Rose Red Review go under. The editor liked my work well enough to nominate "The Giraffe" for Best of the Net.  RRR also published "Day of Reckoning," which I've since combined with an earlier poem, "Apocalypse Eve," which appeared in the now defunct The Legendary. Unfortunately, I can't find any captures of any of my three poems from Issue 49, though if you want to read my amusing contributor's note, simply scroll down here.

My sonnet “Like Franҫois Villon” first appeared in Utter. Among the many good things about the magazine was its name. It was fun ending the list of publications in my bio note not with ". . . & others," but with " . . . & Utter." Yes, I'm easily amused.

Broke Journal was short-lived, but an artful magazine, which published "The Distant Sea."  It's kind of hard to read it in this capture, so try this link instead.

I had several poems in Blast Furnace: "Moon," "As Wordsworth Wandered," & "White."  I found out the magazine was no more while planning to submit new poems. Why am I always the last to know?

Back in the oughties, I published a good many poems in Segue. You can find them here, here, here, & here. I also participated in a Q&A with the editor in the magazine's Writers on Writing series, which I could provide links to, but unless you can access Flash Paper, it won't do you any good.

Marathon Literary Review still exists, but you can't--well, at least I can't--access my poems in its archive.  However, thanks again to the Wayback Machine, you can enjoy both "Off to 'Nam, That's Where" (issue 8) & "Meaning of Life" (issue 10).  

It's my understanding Swink is still around--they have a Facebook page--but the link to the site provided there leads nowhere. Still, you can read "Washington Crossing the Delaware," thanks again to the Wayback Machine.

Last I heard, Helen:A Literary Magazine is currently on hiatus, and its archive doesn't seem to be active, so while I couldn't find texts of the three poems that appeared there, you can watch videos for  "To F.W." & "Classic Theater" via Helen's YouTube channel. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

Something else that's pretty cool is finding "For Lillian, Whoever She Is" (which first appeared in FRiGG) listed among poems to read in celebration of National Poetry Month. Scroll down to 3 to find me. It's fun!

You can also find many of my poems through the Poetry Links sidebar on this blog. I try to keep it current, but one can only do what one can. If you're so inclined, you can hear me reading my poems by visiting Subprimal Poetry Art.

As always, many thanks to the editors, staffs, bloggers, & other contributors to these magazines, past, present & future. Thanks, too, to the reader.  Like late, great Uncle Walt, I wait for you somewhere, but if you don't find me in one place or another, maybe check back later.



Addendum: Books Unbound, a wonderful (though also now defunct) radio program that aired on WFHB in Indiana, included a reading of "Hole" in the episode "Not Somewhere Else But Here," which, you can listen to by clicking below:




Comments