For the Love of Liszt

First, let me begin by saying how sorry I am about the misleading title--yes, it's a pun.  The truth of the matter is, however, I'm not in the least bit sorry.  Frankly, I've heard worse puns.  Anyway, to the point, since everyone is apparently obsessed with what I'm reading, I've provided below, with limited comments, a list of books of poetry I've read--in many cases re-read--thus far this year:

Selected Poems, Apollinaire (bow before his greatness)
Fate, Ai (yes)
Sky, Michael Benedict (underappreciated)
The Stillness, The Dancing, Linda Bierds (currently reading)
Collected Poems, Stephen Crane (prefer his fiction)
Poems Seven, Alan Dugan (best book I've read in a long time)
The Tormented Mirror, Russell Edson (the expected unexpected)
Off the Map, Gloria Fuertes (amazing)
Vita Nova, Louise Gluck (disappointing)
What Narcissism Means to Me, Tony Hoagland
Collected Poems, James Joyce (beats Ulysses, heh)
Passing Through, Stanley Kunitz (well, I don't dislike it)
The Whitsun Weddings, Philip Larkin (I met him once)
Travels, W.S. Merwin (more later in re: "Manual Cordova")
Dear Blood, Leonard Nathan
Love Poems of Ovid, trans. Horace Gregory (I <3 Ovid)
Winter Trees, Sylvia Plath (if you haven't read it, tsk tsk)
Selected Poems, Pierre Reverdy (cet homme est un genie)
A Simple Plan, Gary Soto (good stuff)
Riven Doggeries, James Tate (not his best but ok)
The Dirt, Nance Van Winckel (meh)
Riding the Earthboy, James Welch (more meh)
The Foggist, Dean Young (enjoyable)
Family Reunion, Paul Zimmer (Zimmer-esque)

If you've read any of these books, or maybe a title sounds a tad familiar, please feel free to share your thoughts & opinions here.  Also, if you have candy, preferably chocolate, I'd like that too.

Comments